Student Online Personal Protection Act (SOPPA)
What is SOPPA?
Effective July 1, 2021, Illinois school districts are required by the Student Online Personal Protection Act (SOPPA) to provide additional guarantees that student data is protected when collected by educational technology companies, and that data is used for beneficial purposes only (105 ILCS 85/15).
What does it mean to be SOPPA Compliant?
If a vendor states that they are SOPPA-compliant, that means that they are:
- Not using collected data to provide targeted ads;
- Not profiling students except in furtherance of school purposes;
- Not selling or renting student information;
- Not disclosing information unless required to by law or as part of the maintenance and development of its service;
- Using sound security practices;
- Deleting student data when requested by the school or district;
- Entered into a written agreement with the school district.
District 53 Approved Apps
Access Butler 53’s resource listing here.
Notice of Parent Rights Regarding Student Covered Information