Registration for New Families and New Kindergarten Students
Welcome! We look forward to greeting new families and new Kindergarten students interested in sending their child to Butler District 53 for the school year 23-24. Prior to pre-enrollment, families should review their address for school tax distribution on their DuPage County property tax bill to ensure they are registering for school in the proper school district. Only residents of District 53, those who physically occupy and live within a home in the Butler School District 53 boundaries, are eligible for enrollment.
District 53 conducts open enrollment for incoming kindergarten students in January. Most of the enrollment process is online, using PowerSchool Enrollment Express and Epay, however an appointment is necessary to sign the residency affidavit and show the original birth certificate. See our registration flyer for more information. The Pre-registration portal is open for new students registering for the school year, 2024-25. Choose the school year 2024-2025 to complete the first step. Pertinent information includes.
- Children must be five years old on or before September 1st to enroll in Kindergarten.
- Children must be six years old on or before September 1st to enroll in 1st grade.
- Early Entrance Kindergarten or Grade One Referral Request Form
1st step in Registration
Enter the PowerSchool Pre Registration Form Link and complete your student data and the appropriate school year to complete the pre-registration data.
- The portal is open for new students for the school year 2023-24.
- The portal is open for new students for the school year 2024-25.
2nd step in Registration
Once your information has been received and then approved, you will receive automated emails from: firstname.lastname@example.org via rackspace.powerschool.com (Check your SPAM or Junk folders if you havn't received the emails within 2 days.) The approval email will indicate the documents that will need to be uploaded as well as the forms to be completed in PowerSchool, our School Information System. Additional parents/guardians will have to set up their PowerSchool account to access the portal or request assistance from the registrar. Open the "Help Tutorial Tab for a video if you need help.
Once all pre-registration forms have been completed, you will receive a formal invitation by email to request your residency appointment. At the time of registration, District 53 policy requires that families produce and complete the following documents during their Residency Meeting with the District Notary.
- Adequate evidence of their legal residency
- An Original Official County Birth Certificate for all new students. (Show at Affidavit of Residency meeting)
- Notarize Affidavit of Residency (Show your state photo ID)
District 53 students receive an excellent education and comprehensive support services. The high cost of educating our students is primarily by the residents of Oak Brook through their property taxes. Non-resident students who are unlawfully enrolled in our schools put an additional burden on Oak Brook taxpayers. Consequently, District 53 works cooperatively and continuously with the Village of Oak Brook to ensure that all students enrolled in its schools are residents of District 53.
Families new to the district must provide sufficient documentation to verify their living within District 53 boundaries. If information received at the time of registration does not satisfactorily confirm residency, District 53 will take one or more of the following steps:
- Request additional verification of residence
- Contact the realtor or lending institution regarding the property claim
- Contact the Village of Oak Brook government
- Contact a third party to verify residency and a home visit
If District 53 determines that an enrolled student does not qualify as a resident of the district for school attendance purposes, the parent/guardian will be:
- Notified of the student's immediate removal from school
- Charged tuition as required by state law for each day of the child's attendance in District 53
- Referred to law enforcement authorities for legal action
If the individual who enrolled their child does not remit tuition charges, District 53 will:
- Take legal steps to collect tuition from the individual who enrolled the child
- Seek a judgment to be recorded against the individual who enrolled the child
Enrolling a child into a district by deceit is a Class C misdemeanor, punishable by a $500.00 fine and up to 30 days in jail.
3rd step in Registration
After verification of residency and birth certificates, families of students new to the district will be emailed Registration, Instructions, and Fees in mid-April to complete the registration process by providing medical information, documentation, signing forms for permission and/or acknowledgement, and payment of registration fees. Personal data codes for registration and personalized fee payments can be found in the PowerSchool Parent Portal. Below are the online links for PowerSchool and EPay.
Certificate of Health Examination
Parents must present evidence of student medical exam, including inoculations, for children enrolling in kindergarten, sixth grade and students enrolling for the first time in Illinois public schools. Parents must also present evidence of a vision exam for students enrolling in kindergarten and enrolling for the first time in Illinois public schools. Evidence of dental exam must be presented for students enrolling in kindergarten, grade 2 and grade 6. All other students should present documentation from prior years as part of the cumulative file from a previous school district. Medical forms and documents are to be uploaded through PowerSchool during registration. Refer to State and Butler SD 53 Requirements by Grade.
To assist with student academic placement, students transferring from other districts are asked to upload photocopies of their report cards and those transferring from a district in Illinois must have a Student Transfer Form sent directly to email@example.com. During registration, District 53 parents will sign release of record forms so that official copies can be sent directly from the prior district.
Calendar and Fees
The new calendar and annual fees for the next school year are available on the website after approval by the Board of Education, usually in late March.
If you have any questions, please communicate with the Registrar by calling (630) 280-8803 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
PowerSchool and Epay links below
Registration for Current Students
Butler School District 53 conducts student registration annually online starting in mid-April through the district website by using the links below. The completed registration process for all students includes the following:
- A: Access PowerSchool and completion of PowerSchool Registration online with the Enrollment tab found in the Forms tab of the Navigation Bar on the left
- B: Payment of Balance fees online through Epay
- C: Certify Residency
- Submission of 3 residency verification documents upload on Required Forms in PowerSchool
- Signed Affidavit of Residency for Current Students upload on Required Forms in PowerSchool
- D: State of Illinois Health Requirements upload on Required Forms in PowerSchool
Students will not be allowed to attend classes until all of these steps are completed and verified.
Enrollment Instructions for Current Students
Families of returning students will be emailed the Registration Instructions in the spring. Personal data number codes for registration and personalized fee payments can be found in the PowerSchool Parent Portal Tab: Epay Student and Family Data. Below are the online links for PowerSchool Registration and payments through EPay.
Free Lunch and School Waivers
Free Lunch and School Waiver Guidelines and Application FY24 Updated each July 1 .
Press on the tab name to read contents.