Meet the Superintendent
Heidi A. Wennstrom, Ph.D., Ed.D., Superintendent, Butler School District 53
Dr. Wennstrom began her Butler superintendency on July 1, 2013. She spent the first 13 years of her 30-year career as a teacher and later served as principal at Hillcrest Elementary in Antioch District 34. She was appointed Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum and Instruction in Antioch District 34 and in 2010 was appointed Assistant Superintendent for Teaching, Learning and Technology at North Shore School District 112 in Highland Park and Highwood.
Heidi grew up in suburban Chicago, graduated from Trinity International University in Elementary Education in 1983. She earned her Master’s Degree in Educational Leadership from Northeastern Illinois University and a Ph.D. in Educational Psychology from Loyola University. She earned a second doctorate in Educational Leadership from National Louis University, which was conferred in 2013.
She and her husband have four children and two grandchildren and live in a northern suburb.
As a lifelong educator, Dr. Wennstrom is deeply committed to:
- ensuring that every child develops the knowledge, skills and values critical for success;
- safeguarding developmentally appropriate educational experiences to nurture every child’s social and emotional well-being;
- promoting excellent instruction that is responsive to data to maximize student learning and achievement;
- giving all students access to a well-rounded, rigorous, and research-based curriculum;
- valuing diversity and honoring the dignity and worth of every individual;
- holding ourselves and our colleagues to high standards for our daily work in order to achieve continuous improvement and to advance outcomes for ourselves and our students;
- emphasizing a team approach by collaborating with educators and partnering with parents to positively impact student learning; and
- providing unwaveringly student-centered decision-making.
Heidi is known for her ability to work with disparate groups of people to accomplish significant improvements in teaching and learning. In her leadership roles, she has been an effective mentor, working with teachers through professional development to improve their instruction and teaching strategies. Heidi is a positive force for children and public education and we welcome her to the Butler District 53 family.
Dr. Heidi Wennstrom