Dear Butler D53 Families and Staff,
As we conclude National Teacher Appreciation Week, I'd like to thank our PTO, parents, and community members who made this week so incredibly special for our talented and dedicated educators. We are truly blessed to have such professional, educated, and inspirational teachers working within District 53.
Several of our staff members are celebrating milestone years of service to District 53 and I'd like to take a moment to recognize each of these individuals:
- Elizabeth (Liz) Sompolski (30 years): Liz is a third grade teacher at Brook Forest, has served as OBEA president for many years, and is passionate about reading - making sure she gets as many books into the hands of students as possible.
- Andrew Griffith (25 years): Andrew loved Butler 53 so much his family decided to move to Oak Brook. As a science and math teacher at Brook Forest, he can often be seen on the fields bringing science to life with his students.
- Renee Tomita (15 years): Renee has worn many hats at Brook Forest teaching Kindergarten through 3rd grades, as well as LMC. She is widely known for her flexibility, courage to try and explore new things and her amazing lessons.
- Kathryn (Katie) Sweeney (10 years): Katie has taught 1st, 4th, and 5th grades at Brook Forest and has created the amazing school yearbook for the past several years. Katie is a dedicated, innovative teacher.
- Phyllis Sutton (5 years): Phyllis is an ALP Teacher at Brook Forest. She is a constant researcher who continuously works to improve conditions for students. Outside of school, she enjoys cooking and spending time with family.
- Mary Talerico (5 years): Mary supports all grade levels at Butler Junior High. She goes above and beyond to help students meet their daily goals, by bringing energy to the learning environment which inspires students and staff.
Additionally, the Butler 53 PTO held their final meeting of the year today. I'd like to thank the dedicated leaders of this organization for their tireless support, creativity this year, and leadership. We are grateful for your volunteerism and support of our terrific school district. Please join me in thanking the Outgoing PTO Officers:
- President: Christine Koutsky
- Brook Forest VP: Deepa Jain
- Brook Forest VP: Kathy Schooley
- Treasurer: Katie Donnelly
- Co-treasurer: Veysel Demir
- Communications secretary: Matthew Kelley
- Recording Secretary: Kavitha Neerukonda
Finally, please make sure to sign your child(ren) up for Summer School courses early to ensure availability. There are a wide variety of courses available for incoming Grades 1-8 across all three sessions. Thank you for your support of our summer school programming.
Stay well, be safe,.
Dr. Paul O’Malley
Superintendent of Schools